Drawn Arc Stud Welding Machines
- Automatic Grade: Semi-Automatic, Manual
- Automation Grade: Semi-Automatic
- Phase: 3 Phase
- Power Source: Inverter / Transformer
- Material: Steel
- Output Current: 800/ 1200 Amps
- Capacity: M6 to M16 drawn arc stud welding
- Model Number/Name: AR5100/AR8100
- Weld Stud Range: M6 to M16 studs
- I Deal In: New Only
- Brand: Artech
- Usage: Fixing studs and Fasteners
- Applications: Transformer Tanks/ Boiler tubes / Steel fabrication/ Construction
- Size: Various Sizes
This is a fast and economical method of welding studs of various shapes and diameters onto the parent material. Stud welding is used for fixing studs onto the parent material without making holes. Normally for fixing studs and fasteners, you will have to adopt operations such as drilling and tapping. By using stud welding you can completely avoid these operations.
There are two main methods of stud welding i.e. Capacitor discharge stud welding and Drawn Arc stud welding. The selection of the process depends on thickness of the parent material, diameter of the stud, weld strength required and welding aesthetics requirement. The capacitor discharge method is used for thinner material and drawn arc method is used for higher diameter studs and heavy parent material.
Drawn Arc Stud Welding
In this method studs are welded with the help of either ceramic ferrule or shielding gas. When the gun switch is pressed, low current flows between pointed stud end and work-piece and immediately the stud is lifted drawing an arc. Then the full welding current flows in an arc, creating a molten state in stud end and work-piece. The solenoid is de-energized and the stud is pushed under controlled spring pressure into the molten pool. The whole operation takes fraction of a second. The metal displaced during the movement of the stud into the work-piece is moulded into a fillet form by ceramic ferrule.
This method is generally used for higher diameter studs and where higher weld strength is required.
Artech manufactures drawn arc stud welding machines for welding studs from 3mm diameter to 25mm diameter.
- Uniform high weld quality
- No additional material necessary, such as flux, inert gas etc.
- Elimination of different operations such as drilling, riveting etc.
- Stud diameter from 3mm to 25mm
- No need of skilled workers to use the machine
- Heat exchangers
- Heavy fabrication
- Metal Structures
- Shear connector welding
Capacitor discharge or Drawn Arc - How to selectUse Capacitor discharge when
Use Drawn Arc when
- Clean welds are required
- No marking on reverse side of the weld
- Base material is thin
- For small diameter stud welding up-to 8mm
- When excellent aesthetics are required
- Only for studs with projection (pip)
- High weld strength is required
- Possible on slightly oily, scaly parent material
- For structural applications
- For higher stud diameters
- For short cycle studs and drawn arc studs